16520 Bake Parkway, Suite 270 Irvine, California 92618
The Staff Accountant reports directly to the Director of Finance, with further reporting responsibilities to the Senior Accountant.
Under the guidance of the Senior Accountant, the Staff Accountant assists with day-to-day, month-end close, and yearend close accounting activities. The position is responsible for but not limited to the following general accounting tasks:
- Maintaining financial records and ensuring that financial transactions are properly recorded;
- Performing monthly bank statements;
- Regularly maintaining balance sheet account reconciliations;
- Assisting with payroll system and payroll related activities;
- Managing employee credit card upload and reconciliation;
- Performing ad-hoc analysis and additional accounting assignments as directed by the Senior Accountant and Director of Finance.
Responsibilities related to the project billing process specifically include:
- Effectively communicating with Project Managers and clients regarding contract documents, change orders, client purchase orders and other contract modifications, approvals and any additional services-related to billing.
- Preparing final invoice package containing draft and final invoices for all billable projects, including all applicable backup for approval by the Senior Accountant.
- Assessing and pursuing opportunities to maximize client billing.
- Researching and resolving unbilled issues to optimize billing opportunities for the billing period.
- Maintaining billing folders for all projects, with all the appropriate documents, including consultant expense receipts, consultant invoices, and monthly client invoices, in accordance with standard procedures.
- Reviewing weekly timesheets and expense reports.
- Recommending and implementing agreed process improvements to the billing cycle.
- Preparing special project analysis for Project Managers.
- Communicating and coordinating with regional offices.
- Bachelor degree in Business Administration, Accounting or related major required.
- 3+ years accounting experience required.
- CPA (or working towards designation) preferred.
- Previous experience as a project accountant strong preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of standard contract terms, including time & expenses, fixed-fee, not-to-exceed, milestone billing and how it is applied in billing process preferred.
- Previous experience and understanding of project-based, professional services environment strongly preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of accounting procedures and GAAP.
- Experience with general ledger functions and month/year-end close process.
- Extremely detailed-oriented, ability to provide solutions to accounting issues.
- Ability to employ problem solving skills and analysis, and report problems to the Senior Accountant. Ability to work well with all levels of the organization.
- Intermediate to advanced computer literacy, including MS Office Suite and accounting and project management software.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills required.
- Fluency in English (verbal and written) required; bilingual in Spanish or Mandarin Chinese a plus.
- Flexible to work early mornings or late evenings to accommodate a global organization.