2652 McGaw Avenue Irvine, CA 92614
Position is to provide professional accounting services, which include accounts payable, accounts receivable, general accounting, payroll functions and preparation of intermediate-level financial reports, which require a solid understanding of both accounting theory and practice, to the employer in any accounting functions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform payroll function and supervise Senior Accountant & AP Staff on the day to day processing of general accounting and accounts payable transactions to ensure that municipal finances are maintained in an effective, up to date and accurate manner. This includes but not limiting to:
- Receive and verify invoices and requisitions for goods and services
- Verify that transactions comply with financial policies and procedures
- Prepare and review batches of invoices for data entry
- Data enter invoices for payment
- Manage the weekly check run
- Supervise vendor check for mailing
- Review vendor check in the log book
- Prepare manual checks as and when required
- Manage Capital Expenditure, Prepaid Amortization Schedule
- Be responsible for accurate and timely processing payroll for multiple locations on a semi-monthly and weekly basis; preparing various accounting papers, schedules, and reconciliations; performing periodic internal audits of various payroll areas and preparing materials for external and internal auditors; monitoring all aspects of the UTM time keeping system and ensure all deductions such as wage garnishments, voluntary deductions for benefits and other payroll policies are followed.
- Manage the Accounts Payable month-end close and ensure the deadline is consistently met
- Responsible for monthly accruals and month-end balance sheet account reconciliations
- Provide administrative support in order to ensure effective and efficient office operations which include:
- Maintain a filing system for all Accounts Payable documents
- Ensure the confidentiality and security of all financial and employee files
- Maintain Daily and Weekly Cash Forecast
- Manage and supervise AR/Cash Desk Staff on the day to day processing of high volume cash deposits, AR adjustments, write-offs, credit memos and cash desk daily reconciliation.
- Assess opportunity for improvement within the department, make recommendations to supervisor and implement the change as required
- Communicate with management and other designated personnel for the purpose of providing information and technical assistance needed to resolve problems
- Perform accounting/auditing work of a varied nature, including: maintenance of complex accounting records; preparation and analysis of financial statements and reports; or planning, coordinating and participating in auditing assignments to determine the adequacy of internal controls, the efficiency and effectiveness of operations, and compliance with applicable laws and prescribed policies and procedures.
- Analysis of data as required for the preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reporting.
- May be responsible for reformatting computer system reports or converting accounting data from various computer systems into a standard format in excel
- Perform training functions for company personnel on matters relating to internal control, document handling, and proper application of rules, regulations, and procedures as they relate to the accounting process.
- Serve as a financial resource person and establishes liaison with different departments throughout the company to explain accounting procedures necessary to fulfill accounting requirements.
- Provide assistance to outside auditors by preparing work papers as required.
- Review the work of AP/AR staff position, Senior Accountant.
- Perform other related duties and special projects as assigned or required.
Education or equivalent experience:
- A bachelor’ s degree in accounting, finance or a closely related area plus five to seven years of professional level experience in accounting or financial area. A combination of education, certifications and experience may be substituted.
- Supervisory experience min. 5 years or continued supervisory education/trainingConsiderable knowledge of accounting principles and practices.
- Considerable knowledge of modern office practices and procedures related to accounting including: accounting systems, spreadsheet programs, databases, and report writers.
- Ability to learn quickly and work independently under minimum supervision.
- Ability to prepare reports of historic data for use in preparing budget information.
- Ability to reconcile bank statements, reports and general ledger accounts.
- Ability to independently organize, analyze, and interpret financial and management data to solve management, accounting, or other problems.
- May modify, document, and coordinate implementation of accounting and accounting control procedures.
- Ability to facilitate an audit of financial data or organizational effectiveness under supervision.
- Ability to deal tactfully, effectively and equitably with people. Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others.
- Ability to train junior personnel.
- Accurate and timely completion of assigned work.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.