Chief Financial Officer/Chief Operating Officer
525 Flower Street 49th Floor Los Angeles, CA 90071 US
We have partnered with one of the largest privately held real estate investment firms in the US with more than $10 billion assets under management. The firm is well diversified in terms of real estate asset classes as well as boasts a large, diverse institutional investor base. The firm is managed by an incredibly talented and passionate executive team and is well respected in the real estate community as a firm that performs.
The Chief Financial Officer / Chief Operating Officer is a new position and will be responsible for the corporate finance and accounting as well as manage the Human Resources, Information Technology and corporate administration of the firm.
The right candidate will have fifteen to thirty years in accounting and finance within the real estate investment industry and have a proven background as a CFO. Additionally, previous experience managing human resources and IT is highly preferred.
As a key member of the Executive Leadership Team, the Chief Financial Officer will report to the CEO and assume a strategic role in the overall management of the organization.
The CFO/COO will have primary day-to-day responsibility for planning, implementing, managing, and controlling all financial and operational related activities of the firm, which generates over $100 million of revenue annually from its real estate investment management activities. The CFO/COO will directly supervise all corporate accounting and financial functions of firm, including forecasting income and expenses and managing the tax, accounting, and planning functions for the firm’s closely held ownership structure, as well as overseeing information technology, operations, facilities, administration, and human resources departments.
This position will not have responsibility for the various fund and/or separate account real estate or real estate accounting activities for each fund, which has a separate team of controllers and accountants overseen by the Chief Accounting Officer.
The CFO position will be located in the firm’s downtown Los Angeles, CA headquarters office.
- Direct and monitor the firm’s annual strategic business plan.
- Direct and monitor the firm’s tax strategies.
- Manage the firm’s annual budgeting process.
- Develop reporting that supports strategic decision-making including producing the quarterly Executive Reporting Package that contains firm’s financial statements, firm budget and reforecasting measures noting any variances, key firm performance metrics, revenue and expense reports, payroll, professional fees analysis and client backlog.
- Direct and oversee the operation and execution of corporate finance, accounting and tax functions including supervising corporate controller and accounting team functions.
- Oversee human resource and benefits functions including supervising director of human resources and his/her team.
- Manager the firm’s information technology initiatives, administration/operations, and facilities management functions.
- Oversee all administrative and operational responsibilities for the firm.
- Manage financial support system operations and initiatives including accounting system (MRI, Yardi), accounts payable workflow and payment processing (AvidxChange, Concur, etc.), financial relationships (Treasury Net), and financial and business metric reporting (Tableau/Business Intelligence/Ceridian/BigTime);
- Manage the cost reimbursement functions related to costs and salaries reimbursable to firm from funds and investments.
- Provide on-going advice and input to the Executive Team on firm operations and initiatives.
Financial and Tax Matters
- Oversee the audit of the firm’s financial information.
- Oversee the timely completion and submission of the firm’s annual tax filings.
- Oversee the firm’s Line of Credit and Letters of Credit obligations, if applicable.
- Monitor firm cash balances and cash forecasts.
- Arrange for debt and equipment financing, as necessary.
- Manage short-term investments through active cash management strategies.
- Strategize how to enhance the firm’s capital structure.
- Provide oversight and guidance on firm compensation and benefits, including associated costs.
- Develop effective employee performance measurement metrics and processes.
- Evaluate firm staffing needs and hiring plans including recruiting efforts.
- Oversight of other HR related matters, including working with personnel issues.
- Participate in and contribute to strategic IT decisions as a member of the firm’s IT Steering Committee.
- Provide oversight and guidance on annual IT budgets and cost management and evaluate new technology initiatives to increase operational efficiencies and their related return on investment.
- Oversee IT risk management and cybersecurity protections and protocols to reduce threat to the firm’s operations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration.
- Master of Business Administration degree preferred.
- Licensed Certified Public Accountant preferred.
- Minimum of 15 years progressively responsible financial leadership roles, preferably in the real estate investment industry.
- Prior CFO experience required.
- Prior experience in handling corporate tax matters preferred.
- Advanced facility with and utilization of MS Office Suite, Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint required.
- High level of confidentiality, ethical conduct standards, and tact required.
- Demonstrated and effective leadership skills.
- Willing to assume accountability for specific performance.
- Show creativity and resourcefulness in tackling new tasks.
- Exercise clear and effective written and verbal communication skills, including ability to articulate recommendations in concise and timely manner.
- Produce high quality work product with great attention to detail.
- Handle multiple tasks in an efficient and organized manner.
- Ability to effectively manage and mentor a large staff.
Meet Your Recruiter
Jennifer Hannigan, CPA
Founder & CEO
Jennifer founded Alliance Resource Group in 2003 after four years as a consistent top five performer for a prominent national staffing agency. Jennifer’s vision was to take the best of both contingent and retained search firms and merge them into a single platform. ARG represents this vision with the high touch, highly consultative approach of the retained industry coupled with the sense of urgency and extensive and broad network of a contingent firm. Born and raised in San Diego, her claim to fame was winning the Metric Marathon in 5th grade. She wandered North and graduated Summa Cum Laude from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. A Certified Public Accountant and Deloitte Alum, Jennifer has found her true professional calling running a world class staffing firm.
With boundless energy, this mother of triplets plus two successfully handles the demands of running a business and raising five children. If Jennifer had any spare time, she would enjoy scrapbooking, cooking, wine tasting, Lyle Lovett concerts and travel. Jennifer is a huge Star Wars fan; so much so that she embraced her inner geek with Star Wars Pop Art for the corporate office.