Chief Financial Officer
17911 Von Karman Avenue Suite 200 Irvine, CA 92614 US
Chief Financial Officer for $100+ million professional services firm in Orange County, CA
Our client is a leading, full-service and cutting edge professional services firm with more than $100 million in revenue and growing (organically and through acquisition). The firm has an incredible reputation in the market, a fantastic culture and an impeccable brand. It boasts a high energy and creative culture and consistently wins both industry and employment awards yearly. The executive team is highly talented and collaborative and its shareholders/partners/Board of Directors embrace the core values of the company.
Due to an unexpected departure, we have been retained in the search for the company's Chief Financial Officer.
We are seeking an experienced and strategic Chief Financial Officer (CFO) to join our client’s executive team to lead and execute the company’s vision and financial strategy as they continue to scale and expand operations through acquisition and organic growth. As the CFO, you will play a critical role in shaping the financial future of the company and facilitating sustainable revenue, profit, and value growth.
The position requires an experienced Chief Financial Officer who can lead the financial function as a partner to the CEO and COO, and contribute to the creation of the strategic plan. You will be a hands-on leader capable of developing and optimizing the existing finance team while reinforcing a scalable, proactive, and forward-looking finance and accounting function to support future growth. Experience in a professional services firm (project-based business services) will be an asset, particularly with various types of revenue streams. Best practices learned in a large corporate context combined with entrepreneurial, in-the-trenches middle-market process build-out and value enhancement experience will be an asset.
This position reports to the Chief Executive Officer and will work intimately with the COO. The CFO will also work closely with the company shareholders as well as Studio leaders on the financial health and long-term strategy of the firm. The CFO will have interaction with the company’s nine-person board and will be responsible for quarterly, annual and adhoc reporting and communication with the group directly.
The position will formulate overall financial plans, policies, and strategies for the organization in alignment with business strategies for growth. The role will be responsible for the accounting, tax, legal, risk management, financial planning and budgeting, and treasury functions. The position will direct activities for annual valuation and secure the organization’s assets and funds and provide strategic direction on acquisitions and diversifications. The CFO will also manage the annual audit process and relationships with tax advisors.
- Provide leadership and management of the Finance and Accounting team and financial processes which includes the financial planning, accounting and financial reporting, treasury, tax, and risk management functions.
- Provide leadership and oversight to financial planning processes and analytics. Oversee the development of short and long-term financial plans for the organization.
- Oversee job costing systems and processes as well as monitoring and helping to improve profitability/realization from project level to corporate operations
- Participate in the process and be a thought partner to the CEO and COO for assessing potential acquisitions, new ventures, and other growth opportunities
- Participate as a key member of Executive Leadership Team in setting the strategic plan of the Firm.
- Set the tone and standards for an internal control structure that maintains the integrity of financial information across all business locations and functions.
- Lead the development of timely and insightful financial and operational analyses. Determine the management reporting needs of the organization to facilitate decision-making, cost savings initiatives, strategic actions, accountability, and performance improvement. Provide leadership in the implementation of these decisions.
- Manage the relationships with banking partners to manage cash needs and the requirements of credit agreements. Oversee development and implementation of best practices for cash management programs.
- Provide oversight to the development and implementation of tax planning strategies that align with the company’s risk tolerance and minimize tax liabilities.
- Serve as a servant leader in the organization, a partner to the executive team, an advocate and accountability partner to the shareholders and studio leaders, and a true champion of the company’s culture and values
- Serve as a brand ambassador for firm in the industry, marketplace, and community.
Required Work Experience and Skills
- Minimum 15 years of work experience with at least six years’ experience as CFO or equivalent, in a professional services organization with revenues more than $100 million per year.
- Previous CFO experience working within a shareholder/multi-owner environment – preferably with multi-locations
- Bachelor of Arts in Accounting/Finance or related degree, a CPA and/or MBA highly preferred
- Intimate knowledge of project management and job costs systems
- Experience with M&A transactions highly desired from providing financial due diligence through post-acquisition integration
- Track record of creating executive management decks and presenting to Board of Directors, Executive Management and Industry/Trade organizations
- Leadership personality to effectively manage both corporate and remote teams
- Good interpersonal skills and driver of change
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
Meet Your Recruiter
Jennifer Hannigan, CPA
Founder & CEO
Jennifer founded Alliance Resource Group in 2003 after four years as a consistent top five performer for a prominent national staffing agency. Jennifer’s vision was to take the best of both contingent and retained search firms and merge them into a single platform. ARG represents this vision with the high touch, highly consultative approach of the retained industry coupled with the sense of urgency and extensive and broad network of a contingent firm. Born and raised in San Diego, her claim to fame was winning the Metric Marathon in 5th grade. She wandered North and graduated Summa Cum Laude from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. A Certified Public Accountant and Deloitte Alum, Jennifer has found her true professional calling running a world class staffing firm.
With boundless energy, this mother of triplets plus two successfully handles the demands of running a business and raising five children. If Jennifer had any spare time, she would enjoy scrapbooking, cooking, wine tasting, Lyle Lovett concerts and travel. Jennifer is a huge Star Wars fan; so much so that she embraced her inner geek with Star Wars Pop Art for the corporate office.