Construction Accounting Controller
5510 Morehouse Drive #200 San Diego, CA 92121
Construction Accounting Controller - $120, 000 - $140, 000+ plus competitive bonus
We have partnered with one of the most dynamic and well respected companies in San Diego in their search for a strong accounting professional to join their great team. This position is a new position due to growth and will oversee a large team of project and general accountants. This position will be intimately involved with the company' s very large construction projects, will have a 360 degree view of the company' s strategy and will serve as a key liaison with field operations, subcontractors, suppliers, and vendors.
Position reports to a phenomenal leader that will serve as a great mentor and guide in this role. This is a great, high profile position for a talented accounting professional ready to take their career to a new level.
Some of the key responsibilities:
- Review and oversee the Accountants’ general accounting work, including draws, recording and processing of accounts receivable and accounts payable, job costing and general ledger postings for construction projects.
- Communicate with subcontractors, suppliers, and project managers to manage draw requests/requirements and ensure pending issues are resolved to allow for timely release of payment.
- Manage organizational cash flow forecasting by overseeing all financial project accounting; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with project budgets throughout the project period to maximize positive cash flow.
- Provide support to company leadership for strategic planning, project budgeting and revenue forecasting.
- Work with Field Operations to develop and implement process improvements in areas of percentage of completion profit recognition, project cost, inventory/equipment and accounting operations.
- Prepare complex reports for senior leadership.
- Recommend policies and procedures relating to financial and business practices of the company.
- Responsible for building talent and supporting continuous improvement initiatives across the Construction Accounting Department.
- Lead by example with “ Hands on” performance of key responsibilities.
EXPERIENCE / QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’ s in Accounting
- CFMA a plus, CPA preferred but not required
- 10+ years of experience in a like position.
- Experience working in construction, real estate, or development industry
- Ability to lead a dynamic and growing team
- Create the right culture throughout the department
- Ability to work strategically with management
- Manage systems and technology changes
- Strong leadership skills
- Solid knowledge of construction accounting with a strong understanding of project cost control, percentage of completion and expense recognition.
- Demonstrated ability to perform multiple tasks and meet aggressive deadlines in a dynamic and complex environment.
- Demonstrated ability to resolve accounting issues timely and accurately.
- Solid knowledge of internal control functions and documentation.
- Ability to build internal and external business relationships.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills. Exceptional attention to details.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of employees.
- A strong work ethic and a “ can-do” attitude.
- Excellent systems and reporting skills.