2532 Dupont Drive Irvine, California 92612
Our client is a dynamic, fast growing real estate company that is looking for a Corporate Controller to lead all the accounting efforts for the organization. This person will be responsible for not only the accounting operations for the Group, but for the personal finances of its founder as well. This includes handling a variety of personal matters and providing personal oversight of financial and accounting services (not investment guidance) to the founder and family. This is a " hands on" role in which the Controller must be able to execute the duties described below as well as manage a staff and assist in personal matters. This position will report to the CFO of the organization and work closely with other departments including but not limited to Philanthropy, Legal, Tax, and Human Resources.
- Oversees monthly general ledger closing process
- Ensure proper control of expenses by performing comprehensive monthly analysis of expenses compared to budget and prior month trend. Communicate any issues to management and initiate timely corrective action as necessary
- Provide effective financial analysis of actual to planned results and proactively identity corrective action plans as required
- Ensure effective management of assets (with emphasis on Accounts Receivable and Inventory) and proactively implement corrective action plans as necessary to achieve compliance with performance expectations
- Monitor receivables, and collections, to minimize the risk of bad debt write offs
- Ensures all financial reports are prepared according to GAAP and in a timely manner
- Support external audit requirements as well as periodic internal audit requirements
- Ensure completeness and accuracy of monthly account reconciliations and other required analysis in accordance with corporate policy.
- Perform other analysis as required by Executive management
- Oversight of all monthly accounting and financing activities
Family Office responsibilities:
- Resolve any owner / family inquires, issues, and special requests quickly and accurately
- Direct the accounting and reporting for all personal transactions.
- Maintain records and accounting for residences, properties, art collections, vehicles, and other personal assets.
- Closely review all expenses, including personal, taxes, insurance, medical, education, and mortgage payments.
- Review and approve monthly, quarterly, and annual personal financial statements and variance reports.
- Manage and review all bank account and credit card activity for family members.
- Coordinate funding requests from family members.
- Review check writing activity at residences plus related approvals.
- Conduct and/or review daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual bank reconciliations.
- Review intercompany billing and account reconciliation.
- Analyze, track, and report on portfolio of investments in stocks and other minority investments in private companies.
- Regularly communicate with investment funds for information.
- Develop and implement controls, policies, and procedures for the Family Office.
- Provide financial, planning and analysis services in connection with family trust transactions.
- BS in Accounting with 7+ years of direct, related experience in a Controllership position
- At least 3+ years of experience working with a high net worth Family Office (or similar)
- Must possess a strong understanding of US GAAP requirements and SOX financial controls as well as Internal Controls implementation experience
- Must possess superior project management skills
- Demonstrated advanced Excel, Access and QuickBooks skills required
- Proficient with MS Office Suite, most notably Word and Power Point
- Ability to work with all levels of management; excellent communication/presentation skills required
- Strong organizational, problem-solving and analytical skills; able to manage deadlines and priorities, with a dedication to working well under pressure.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- CPA, CFP and/or MBA - a plus
- Hotel finance experience - a plus