Director of Accounting and Reporting (Controller)
1100 W. Town and Country Road Suite 1600 Orange, CA 92868
The Director of Accounting and Reporting is responsible for all internal and regulatory accounting and reporting functions . This position reports to the Chief Accounting Officer and must be a strong leader for his/her team. This team leader ensures that the accounting work is performed in a timely and efficient manner; financial reporting is accurate and complete using consistent methodologies in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and state specific Statutory Accounting Principles (SAP), as applicable; required filings are made accurately and within prescribed deadlines; and other management reporting is complete and delivered on time.
- Monthly financial close
- Preparation of financial statements and footnotes
- Financial analysis and trend identification
- Budget/Forecast to Actual results variance analysis
- Account Reconciliations
- Regulatory financial reporting (DMHC, OIR and DOI)
- Accounting Department liaison with other departments
- Board material preparation, as required
- Internal controls implementation
- Oversight of accounts payable, treasury, fixed asset and accounting personnel
- Oversight of 1099 filing
- Filing of state sales and use tax
- System implementations, including but not limited to general ledger implementation
- Special projects as assigned.
Oversees assigned staff. Responsibilities include: recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees; assigning workload; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results; and coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees.
- Minimum Experience:
- Eight (8) years of progressive accounting experience related to the areas described above in General Responsibilities.
- Bachelor’ s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field required.
- CPA license required (active or inactive status)
- Intermediate to Advanced profiency in Excel (including pivot tables, etc).
- Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Word.
- Advanced proficiency in general ledger accounting using systems such as Microsoft Dynamics, Lawson Infor, Peoplesoft, Oracle, or SAP.
- Advanced proficiency in using a report writer/reporting tool, including demonstrated ability in report writing.
- Innate curiosity; seeks to understand and problem solve by using innovative ideas.
- Ability to identify and implement efficiencies in routine processes.
- Demonstrated experience in working well with a team and being a great coach for team members.