Director of Financial Planning
95 Enterprise #325 Aliso Viejo, CA 92656 US
Plays a vital role in driving the technology-enabled expansion and development of the financial planning and analysis function, with the objective of scalable, efficient, and effective FP&A operations as a public company. Responsibilities include driving technology-enabled process innovation and automation of FP&A processes and controls, preparing the company’s FP&A capabilities for public status. Works cross-functionally to provide timely, accurate and relevant budgets, forecasts, and finance and operational analyses to stakeholders, and ensuring compliance with relevant SEC regulations.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION
- Relentlessly drive technology-enabled process innovation and automation initiatives surrounding financial planning and analysis processes and controls, leveraging digital tools and capabilities.
- Actively seek to build personal digital finance competencies and foster a culture of innovation and continuous learning to develop digital finance skills both inside and outside the finance team. Examples of digital finance competencies include:
How these solutions can be used to automate relevant processes;
The knowledge, skills and abilities required to help implement and optimize such solutions; and The mindset of embracing technology and new ways of working.
- Lead and collaborate with cross-functional teams to develop and maintain financial forecasts, budgets, and long-term financial plans.
- Continuously analyze and refine financial forecasts based on industry trends, market dynamics, and company performance.
- Provide strategic insights and data-driven recommendations to executive leadership for decision-making.
- Conduct scenario analysis and sensitivity testing to assess the impact of various business strategies on financial outcomes.
- Prepare financial reports and presentations for executive leadership and external stakeholders.
- Monitor and assess financial performance against targets, identifying areas for improvement and making proactive recommendations.
- Implement KPI dashboards and reporting mechanisms to provide real-time insights to the leadership team.
- Work closely with finance and legal teams to ensure financial compliance and readiness for an IPO.
- Assist in creating financial disclosure documents and presentations for potential investors.
- Participate in the development of the financial narrative for the IPO roadshow.
- Conduct in-depth financial analyses, including scenario modeling, to support strategic decision-making.
- Utilize advanced analytics tools to derive insights from financial data and recommend actionable strategies.
- Engage with departments to gather data, understand business drivers, and align financial strategies with organizational goals.
- Maintain and increase professional and technical knowledge by on-the-job training, attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies.
- Support compliance with the company quality standards, FDA regulations and guidance, applicable EU Medical Device directives, applicable ISO standards, and other pertinent country specific medical regulatory requirements.
- Perform special projects and other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or a related field.
- A minimum of five years’ progressive experience in financial planning and analysis.
- Strong background in financial modeling, data analysis and financial reporting.
- Strong understanding of IPO preparation and financial disclosure requirements.
- Solid understanding of both technical and managerial accounting.
- Proficiency in financial systems, tools, and ERP software.
- Must have a continuous improvement mindset and embrace leveraging technology for process innovation and automation.
- Experience with implementing technology initiatives.
- MBA or relevant advanced degree.
- CPA or CFA designation.
- Experience in the life sciences industry.
- Experience with financial planning software and digital finance tools.
- Direct involvement in preparing a private company for an Initial Public Offering (IPO), including financial due diligence, and ensuring that FP&A systems and controls are robust enough to meet public company standards.
- Experience programming and working in Tableau.
- Experience working with NetSuite.
SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND CHARACTERISTICS
- Technologically savvy, and searches out and embraces new, technology-enabled, ways of working.
- A passion for leveraging technology to make FP&A processes and controls efficient, effective, and scalable.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with a systems data-driven mindset.
- Adaptable and able to navigate unexpected challenges and regulatory changes.
- Demonstrated leadership and influencing skills, ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams while ensuring financial transparency, compliance, and strategic alignment.
- Self-motivated and proactive, with strong time and project management skills.
- Ability to manage multiple assignments simultaneously with strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Understand business operations as well as corporate accounting, finance, and management principles.
- Demonstrate prudent judgment when making important decisions by utilizing knowledge of industry best practices and current trends.
- Strong sense of urgency and accountability; reactive to changing business needs.
- Maintains confidentiality and exhibits a high level of integrity and trustworthiness.
- Ability to work in a hybrid or virtual environment.
- Highly proficient with technology platforms, including Microsoft Office (particularly Excel), and in mobile/cloud resources including CRM software (preferably Salesforce), ERP software (preferably NetSuite), and data analytics platforms (preferably Tableau); comfortable learning new technical systems as needed such as Box, Zoom, Slack, Smartsheet, and Concur.
Meet Your Recruiter
Dean Gavello, MBA
Director, Executive Search
Dean began working in the staffing industry 25 years ago, which makes him Alliance Resource Group’s most seasoned recruiter. He joined ARG in 2016 after successfully owning and operating his own firm, The Bennett Group, for many years. What makes Dean such a great recruiter is his ability to find the true strengths in people. To Dean everybody is blessed and everybody shines. Dean is especially talented at matching candidates to the right jobs.
Born and raised in Connecticut, Dean got his undergraduate degree from University of Connecticut and an MBA from University of Massachusetts. A father of four, Dean and his wife, Toni, also share their home with a dog, two cats and a fish named Blue. If Dean had a free day he would go for the hat trick — fishing for yellowtail in the morning, a twilight round of golf followed by playing in a poker tournament. Boom!