Property Management Controller
Century City, CA 90067
Standard Companies (“ Standard”) are seeking a qualified individual for a Property Management
Controller position. This individual will be responsible to support various aspects of the financial
cycle required by the Property Operations and Accounting Department.
This position will oversee and manage all accounting functions of the third-party property
management companies including cash management, internal control, operating budget, review of
monthly and yearly financial reporting, assist and manage annual audits. This position will be
based in Los Angeles office and will report directly to the VP of Accounting.
Standard is a full-service investment and asset management firm that operates opportunistically in
sectors where it has developed expertise. Standard operates from offices in Los Angeles and New
York, with divisional offices in Washington, D.C. and Chicago. Standard has divisions focused on
affordable housing (Standard Communities), opportunistic investments outside of affordable
housing (Standard Capital), the energy sector (Exponent Energy), and insurance (Global Guaranty
Insurance). Real estate investments are made through the Standard Communities and Standard
Standard has completed more than $1.6 billion of transactions since being founded in 2008,
including approximately $1.3 billion of acquisitions and rehabilitations in the real estate and
distressed debt markets. Standard currently holds a portfolio of over 10, 000 apartment units, of
which more than 7, 400 are affordable housing. Standard’ s growing team of 30+ people includes
construction, asset management, acquisitions, finance, legal, and accounting professionals.
Standard takes an opportunistic approach to investments, moving decisively to execute
transactions quickly and creatively. Company culture is fast-moving and entrepreneurial, and there
are high expectations of team members, who are provided with the support and resources they
need to be successful in their roles.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities of Ideal Candidate
Oversee and manage all accounting matters of third-party property management companies
including but not limited to the following:
• Establish and maintain internal control policies relating to accounting matters.
• Review and maintain supporting schedules for property balance sheets.
• Create and maintain procedures for monitoring property cash management.
• Review monthly bank reconciliations.
• Review monthly financial reporting for multiple properties.
• Ensure the accuracy of all financial transactions and reporting.
• Oversee monthly distributions.
• Assist in preparing annual budgets for multiple properties.
• Review closing statements and prepare opening entries for new acquisitions.
• Coordinate with external auditors for annual financial audits.
• Applicant MUST be a detail-oriented person with excellent analytical skills and
proficient in Excel.
• Independent, self-starter mentality, with strong communication and organizational skills.
• Eager to work in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
• Team player.
• Ability to multi-task several projects across multiple properties.
Education and Experience
• Minimum 5 years of experience in property management accounting.
• Bachelor' s degree in accounting, business, or finance is preferred.
• Strong computer skills (Excel, Word, Outlook).
• Previous experience with Yardi, MRI or other property management accounting systems.