Senior Accountant (oil & gas)
Orcutt, CA 93455
We are exclusively partnered with a large successful oil/gas company located in Santa Maria, CA.
For this position, it is very important that the right candidate understands the *concepts* of lease, royalty, joint interest partners, mineral interest ownership, and the basic legal principles that apply to mineral title ownership. Additionally, you will be involved with the day-to-day Joint Interest Accounting for operated and non-operated properties, provided assurance that the joint interest billings are in compliance with the operating agreements and resolve any inquires arising from the joint interest partners, revenue, and production analysis.
The Senior Accountant will also be involved with special analysis and reconciliation for general accounting and assist with preparation of internal and external financial packages. Additionally, they will be involved with the technical and implementation support for various oil and gas accounting systems.
Overview of Position:
- Manage working interest joint accounts and associated receivables, bill working interests timely and accurately and serve as liaison between working interest owners and working interest audit
- Develop and lead a team responsible for accurate and timely financials and driving cross-functional performance improvement
- Prepare and analyze operating expenses, capex and workover actual and estimates variance explanations to support monthly financial close and reporting
- Compliance and review of joint operating agreements in accordance with GAAP and COPAS policies and procedures
- Domestic and international time-writing to ensure appropriate charge-outs to partners
- Appropriate JV allocations, Overhead, and Cutback
- International property JIBS, invoicing, cash management, and accounting
- Issue and reconcile cash calls
- Track and update payouts
- Answering partner billing inquiries and managing non-op billing accounts and queries
- Ensuring compliance of all tasks with relevant Accounting standards and SOX controls
- Reviewing Balance Sheet account reconciliations and propose adjustments as needed
- Monthly sign-off of trial balances and financial statements
- Building software system super-user knowledge and system support
- Liaising with end clients and lead software enhancement projects as needed
Required qualifications to be successful in this role:
- Oil & Gas experience preferred (not required)
- joint interest expense,
- capital expenditure analysis,
- accounts receivable,
- balance sheet account reconciliations, and;
- profit and loss variance explanations.