3010 Old Ranch Parkway Suite 400 Seal Beach, California 90740
The Senior Accountant, reporting to the Controller, is responsible for all areas relating to accounting and financial reporting for three related companies providing transportation and machine shop services. Total revenue is just over $11 million per year. The Senior Accountant works closely with the team to ensure that work is properly allocated and completed in a timely and accurate manner. Candidate must possess a strong understanding of accrual and tax basis accounting in a multi company and branch environment. This position is a prime mover for work-flow improvements and process changes and the position is highly visible and part of senior management. This is a “ hands on” position that requires both the ability to work through detailed accounting and also interface with management. This position will work closely with all facets of Senior Leadership
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
- Ensure an accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end close consistent with established deadlines.
- Ensure the timely reporting of all monthly financial information.
- Must prepare balance sheet schedules every month and analyze gross profit for all branch offices
- Assist the Controller with the daily banking requirements and cash management.
- Monitors and analyzes department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Advises staff regarding the handling of non-routine reporting transactions.
- Respond to inquiries from the Controller and senior management regarding financial results, special reporting requests
- Work with the Controller to ensure a clean and timely year-end audit.
- Prepare general journal entries through preparation of financial statements
- Assist in the development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department
- Follow solid internal control procedures to safeguard company assets.
- Work closely with all department heads to develop procedures for good information flow
- Provide training to new and existing staff as needed
- Support the CFO and CEO with special projects.
- Bachelors’ degree or MBA in Accounting, CPA highly preferred
REQUIRED SKILLS & PRIOR EXPERIENCE:
- Must have service industry / manufacturing background and able to thrive in an entrepreneurial, fast paced and multiple branch environment. Analysis of branch profitability is critical.
- 3 to 5 years prior experience in financial reporting and maintaining General Ledger
- Thorough understanding and experience with GAAP
- Must be able to work with an entrepreneurial CEO.
- CPA with Big Four background preferred
- Must be very well organized and meet tight deadlines
- Experience with Microsoft NAV or similar ERP. Having gone through a system conversion a plus (Company currently transitioning to Microsoft NAV)
- Must be an advanced user of Microsoft Excel and proficient with PowerPoint.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and excellent follow up on pending initiatives
- Strong interpersonal, supervisory and customer service skills required.
- Must be a team player with great management skills
- Must be a self-starter willing to learn all systems and perform any and all tasks necessary